Friday, December 03, 2010

the addiction continues (circa 1998)

clare has been witness to my caving into my concert attending addiction on quite a few occasions.  this past wednesday was another moment where i paid money for a ticket to listen to some live rock music...and clare saw the whole thing.

we went to a goo goo dolls concert!  i have loved the goos since long before their mega hit "Iris" was released.  ok, so i loved them when they released "Name" which was maybe a year before the mega one.  don't want to give you the impression i was hanging out in punk bars listening to them wail.


i've seen the goos three times since i moved to the east.  all three viewings have been with clare.  don't really think that's a coincidence.

their 2010 concert on december 1st was fantastic.  they are an energectic band that sounds better live than recorded in many instances.  we rocked along for over an hour and were grateful the show ended around 10pm.  always great to be home before 11pm on a school night.

the goos hold a special place in my heart because they were my friends when i attempted to live with my father for a summer after my junior year at BYU.  needless to say, those days with my dad were somewhat painful so i spent lots and lots of time in my car driving around the san francisco bay area.  it was the summer that the band released dizzy up the girl.  that whole cd was played on constant rotation in my portable cd player that used a tape connection to play over my car stereo.  also one night at his place i put it in his ridiculously expensive stereo and blasted the volume to rock out to "black balloon".  probably would have more of an impact if he had actually been home at the time.  alas...i still consider it a moment of rebellion.  :)

for their love during that wretched summer, i will always try to pay to see them live.  just hoping that clare can attend with me to keep our streak alive.

1 comment:

Johnson Family said...

Love the new couch and I am sorry you had that rough summer at your dads, but I am glad you have the googoo dolls to help you get through it all!
Have a wonderful Christmas season! Love ya!
Christa