Thursday, September 08, 2005

US Open Obsession


The US Open is a joyous time of year for me. As an overall sports enthusiast it is often difficult to choose my favorite when multiple sports are being played. For the last week of August and first two weeks of September, there is a definitive winner in the favorite sport category. TENNIS!
I think my decision to move to New York was due to a strong desire to experience the US Open in the flesh. I have been to numerous MLB, NFL, and NBA games - but there is no other feeling derived from sitting and watching two men or women duke it out with raquets and a yellow ball. It is a beautiful thing. The feeling at Arthur Ashe Stadium is electric - that is why I was "this close" to purchasing a ticket to the Men's Semi-final on Saturday for $500. It has clearly become an obsession. At least I know it will be another 12 months before I lose sleep, yell at the television, and become ineffective at work from constant internet viewing of USOpen.org.
Now if only Andre Agassi could beat Roger Federer, then my 2005 US Open experience would become the best ever.

No comments: