Friday, March 16, 2007

The Announcements

While at BYU in the Provo Bubble I received countless wedding invitations/announcements. My fridge was always covered with pictures, generally in a sepia tone, announcements printed on the same style invitation and inserts telling me where I could purchase the happy couple a gift. For the most part I kept each and every wedding invitation I received from 1997-2002 because I could map my life based on whose announcement I had. Then the great wedding destruction happened in 2003 when I decided to rid myself of sentimentality...I torched the box of weddings. Maybe it wasn't so much the need to become a hardened character but the pressing need of storage space in the garage for Joani. Never since have I wished I could pull out a wedding invitation and reiminsce.

Now a new era has begun. For the first time in about 4 years, I have not one, not two, but THREE wedding announcements on my fridge. Last night I was comparing my reaction when I opened the double envelopes in college to now. My first thought is that I am more than willing to purchase a gift since I can afford it as a professional so it paid to wait for marriage until I could get you something from your registry that was over the $40 range. The second thought was that I am no longer envious of the marital happiness staring at me each time I reach for a carrot stick. Now I can say with absolute sincerity that I am truly happy for Amanda & Tyson, Michelle & Mat and Jina & Breezy. You have each earned the right to a nice little present from me to celebrate your joy. Best wishes!

No comments: