Thursday, August 02, 2007

SYTYCD Prediction - Top 8

Last night's show proved that your partner can make all the difference in determining a good or mediocre performance. Here is my review of the performances:

Couple 1 - Danny & Sara
I liked their Argentine Tango because Danny didn't dance like a robot and Sara came out with guns blazing. The fan stuck down Sara's boot during the dance could not have been comfortable. I love that they both went for it.
There hip hop routine was "ok". I think that Shane Sparks could have given a little more meatier movement but alas, the dancers have to dance what the choreographers give them. Thankfully Danny's little beret hat felt off mid-way because it was looking very ridiculous.

Couple 2 - Dominic & Lauren
After the second Krumping routine of the season I must say I still don't know why that style is different from hip hop. The dance performed last night seemed more like a hip hop than a krump.
I thought the dance was beautiful and they were very connected. Talk about trying to get some chemistry. The kiss at the end of their rhumba made me feel a little awkward. It screamed of desperation to garner votes and made me feel a little like..."how the crap did that fit into the dance." Probably wasn't in the original choreography version.

Couple 3 - Neil & Lacey
The show was trying to be all creative with their "latin jazz" category instead of straight up "jazz" or "Latin." That made me a little nervous because you have to master to styles of dance in one routine. I think they did well but the music was a poor, poor choice.
By far the best dance of the night was Mia Michael's ode to her father. At first I wasn't sure if I really felt the emotion but than I watched again and it became extremely touching. Neil & Lacey did a fantastic job connecting with each other and the music fit perfectly with the story.

Couple 4 - Pasha & Sabra
Their Broadway number was pure energy and fun. I felt like I was back at the theater watching the two leads of a musical strutting their stuff. However, I keep waiting for a Broadway number from the reigning musical Wicked to find it's way onto the show. I guess I'll keep waiting.
For some reason their quick step made me yawn. I totally noticed how Sabra almost fell out of her arabesque. They seemed like brother and sister running across the floor in left over Michael Jackson clothes. Beyond my opinion I know they are both going to be around until next week.

PREDICTION - I think that we will say farewell to Lauren and Dominic this week. I enjoyed watching you both and say thank you for the Wade Robson jazz and Mandy Moore contemporary routines with your previous partners. Well done!

No comments: