Wednesday, December 07, 2011

old age rears its ugly head

monday night was a trek to new jersey to buy a christmas tree and enjoy the 'burbs for an evening.  took a pick up truck over the hudson river for our excursion.  made sense since i had to bring back a tree. 

driving the pick up reminded me of grandpappy.  he used to take me and my cousins in his datsun black pick up.  we would pile in the back and he would drive along and then start turning the steering wheel so it felt like we were shaking.  i remember squealing with my cousins whenever he would do that.  love those memories with my grandpappy.

anyway, back to original blog post story...

after loading the trees we did our best to secure them and the drop cloth generously borrowed from a friend.  we used my bungee cords and rope to secure.  when i got going on the highway (aka freeway for those living on the west coast) the drop cloth kept flying up so we pulled into a parking lot and i jumped in the back to try to tie rope around the trees and secure it.  pretty sure that is how i strained/pulled my back.

the next morning it was horrendous pain with any movement.  took quite a few advil just to get through the day.  came home last night and popped into a hot bath to try to loosen the tension.  thankfully clare had given me a flannel wrapped rice bag that i could heat up also.  did all i could to make it feel better.  woke up this morning and it was worse than ever. 

moral of the story is that my 30s mean the aches and pains seem to be more frequent and of longer duration.  makes me mildly concerned for my 40s.

1 comment:

Johnson Family said...

But hey, at least you have a tree!!! And don't they smell soooooo good?! You can lie in bed in pain and smell your tree all day long!!!
Seriously though, sorry about the back, bummer!
Love ya, Christa