Thursday, September 13, 2007

Subway Mathematics

Today on my 6 train journey to work I found myself wondering just how much money over the five years I've been a New York resident has gone to the good ole boys at the MTA. So when I got to work I opened my trusty Excel spreadsheet to try and figure out the final amount I have spent for less than stellar transportation on the buses and trains. The grand total for a service that isn't tangible or long-term was over $6,000. Now broken down that's about $1,200 a year to go from the 96th Street Station to the 51st Street station at least twice a day during the week. Yikes!

To make myself feel better I decided to figure out how much I would be spending if I purchased my dream car, Volkswagon Passat. Needless to say, with my luxury standard of living, the purchase of a car, gas, insurance and upkeep would far outweigh the amount of money I spend annually on the subway and bus system of NYC.

If only the subway and bus would drop me at my door, allow me to sing along out loud to music, and put my bags in the trunk then I would have the best of both worlds.

1 comment:

Donetta said...

surely it doesn't add up to that. An unlimited monthly pass is not yet $100. I'm sure in the very near future it will be...but for now...I think we're still safely under the $1,000 a year mark.