Wednesday, June 17, 2009

making some changes

this summer i'm seeing a large majority of friends leave the city (or upper east side). about four years ago the same thing happened when a whole host of my good buddies left to experience new education, career and family goals. still miss them and hold out hope that they will one day return (you know who you are).

everytime a mass exodus occurs i tend to re-evaluate my long term relationship with new york city. thankfully i'm still "in love" with the city and will remain. my realization that i'm still supposed to be here doesn't stop the need i have to make changes in my life. so i've made some (in my opinion) decisions to "spice" things up a bit in my life:

1. MOVING to a new apartment - strangely enough i'm going back to the building that i lived in for three years before moving to my current pad. big move happens on the 29th. send happy thoughts that all my possessions come from the 5th floor walk up to my new 2nd floor abode fully intact and functioning

2. CUT OFF my hair - my one true vanity got a lot shorter when i visited claire last weekend. my hair had reached my mid to lower back and was so heavy. the summer humidity is painful with long hair so i decided to ask claire to chop it. it is now all layered up and hits just below my shoulders. SO HAPPY with the end result. (pictures coming soon)

3. BUDGET my money - with the new apartment comes more rent every month (believe me, the apartment is worth the additional $$s). i've never been good at giving myself limits on expense categories like food, entertainment, luxuries (spa pedicures), clothing, electronics, etc. it is time to take control and carefully monitor the funds that come and go because i have some upcoming big purchases i would like to make in cash rather than AMEX currency.

4. TAKE simplier and cost effective VACATIONS - netter, flex and i are going to boston for one night instead of 3 and staying in out of the way hotel because its cheaper. claire, m.c. and i are going to jet down to florida and have the time of our young lives in the second happiest place on earth. i'm so looking forward to becoming my inner child and eating lots and lots of churros. these trips plus my flights to indy in july and home for christmas combined are cheaper than the 5 days i spent in prague earlier this year. kinda like getting 5 shirts for the cost of 1 at banana republic or ann taylor.

5. CAR SHARING membership - i'm going to join ZipCar because i find it essential that i have the option to take some wheels into suburbia as often as possible. the thought of no rental car line and gas/insurance included sold me on the car sharing with ZipCar.

i'm excited for my friends' new adventures and happy that my love for new york remains strong. it is also great that i am able to shake things up whenever possible to remind myself how lucky i truly am.

No comments: