Wednesday, November 18, 2009

a little something for our foreign friends

i work in rockefeller center. there are lots of tourists in rockefeller center.

yesterday while chatting with my friend kayte in the concourse level (i.e. the shopping/eating area of rock center) we were approached by a lovely couple. they kept asking us a question that neither kayte nor i could grasp. finally it dawned on us that they needed a bathroom.

sidenote - i have always made it a point to try to learn how to ask for a restroom in the native language of the country i'm visiting. its come in handy. trust me.

after we sent them to the "toilets" i compared the tourist arenas in new york to those in foreign lands i visited. i realized that the united states is not very foreign traveler friendly. we don't provide our friends from other lands with menus that are translated in their language and signs are not posted with multiple languages to help them to important places, like bathrooms.

whenever i'm in europe almost everyone in the tourism industry speaks english. i believe new york city has the most individuals able to throw down a conversation in spanish, french, german, polish, portugese, cantonese, russian, hebrew, etc; which is why i don't get why the new york city government doesn't do more to help our foreign friends feel a little more comfortable in the vastness that is the big apple. maybe the public leaders from paris, berlin, moscow, madrid, etc. can give them some pointers.

1 comment:

Johnson Family said...

Hey Mel, I was going to leave you a comment on Facebook, but I couldn't figure out how to make it so only you would get to see it... I am THAT facebook retarted! But I do know the blogging world! So here I am. I am so glad we found each other after like a gagillion years of sabaticle and I would love to give you all my juicy info so we can stay in contact better.
Ready: my cell--- (928) 830-8593 my mailing adress p.o. box 232 Bagdad, AZ 86321. My physical adress (for when you come visit me.. hint, hint) 310 West View Bagdad, AZ 86321. Now, I can add you to my Christmas card list and everything! Yipee! Now I just have to write my Christmas card...... And I think I want to come visit you after I beat this silly cancer thing, and see the Big Apple for myself!!! But seeing you will be more fun, cause you make trips really fun.... remember...the good 'ole days!...
I do love ya and would love to hear from you ANYTIME! (Except in the middle of a chemo treatment, cause I am pretty grouchy then... and possibly bald.) Will you still be my friend when I am bald and beautiful??? He! he! Don't get tooooo jealous!
Again, love ya,
Christa