Thursday, July 21, 2011

change is good, right?

generally i'm not a huge enjoyer of change.  something about the unknown that can be absolutely terrifying.  a full blown panic attack occurred when i was informed about the change described below.

bishopric 1st counselor and executive secretary came over to have a bit of a chat last wednesday night.  i thought they were going to switch up things in Primary by releasing me from the secretary position; which i've held for 3 years.  well i was right...they did release me but then they asked me to take on the responsibility of something else entirely.  as of sunday, july 17th i am the 1st counselor in the relief society presidency of my ward.  if your jaw is hanging open based on shock after reading that last sentence then you have a small snippet of what i felt when they told me this.  couldn't speak for roughly 3 minutes.  i'm excited but totally terrified.  doesn't help that i'm the oldest member in age of our presidency.

bishopric man thought he'd sweeten the deal by asking me to share a short 5 minutes testimony in church last sunday.  that made me more comfortable than the weekly relief society stuff.  so i thought of some things and wrote them down but didn't put a ton of effort in my preparation.  i was mortified when i saw my name in the sacrament meeting program like i was an actual speaker!  somehow i made it through my "talk" about love.  even managed to out myself from the pulpit as an obsessed 'nsync fan back in the day.  love when your brain totally disconnects from the words coming out of your mouth.  awesome.

really excited to work with the women at church and make some more friends.  any pointers are greatly appreciated from those that have served in this capacity.  looking at you joani...

2 comments:

Connie said...

Wow! You'll do great but such a big change from primary! The ladies in your ward are lucky to have you.

Heidi said...

I'm not shocked -- I think you'll be awesome! =)