Wednesday, July 13, 2011

a cautionary tale

my flight to utah on saturday morning was at 7:00am from JFK.  this meant i needed to be out the door and in a cab by 5:15am at the latest.  which required a 4:00am wake up call.

got up just fine on saturday morning.  did my usual stuff to get ready for th travel and vacation including blow drying and then curling my hair.  because my curling iron was hot i placed it in my freezer to cool it down before packing it away in my suitcase.  i had done this before to great results.  just not a smart move to put in a warm or hot item in your suitcase where it can cause damage. 

only problem with placing the curling iron in the freezer is you need the mental capability to remember it is there prior to departing.  i remembered the curling iron was in the freezer while being driven by joani to sweet tomatoes for lunch after arriving in utah.  whoops. 

texted netter and my friend who had family staying in my apartment to please remove the curling iron from the freezer.  figured my idiocy would be taken care of by one of them.  well, upon returning back to my home and sleeping off the red eye flight for 5 1/2 hours on sunday morning i opened up my freezer and lo and behold there was the curling iron. 

let the iron thaw from its adventure in the freezer for three days.  today is the first day i attempted to plug it in and use it.  thankfully all systems were go.

the funny part of this story happened on monday during lunch when receptionist told me she did the same exact thing two weeks before when she went on her greek honeymoon.  thankfully her curling iron also survived after the de-thaw. 

note to self, when placing the curling iron in the freezer grab a post it and write "curling iron" on it and place on the front door so it is highly visible prior to leaving for over a week.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love this story!

Natalie said...

This is classic!!