Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Olympic Volleyball Joy

I avidly watched the Olympics but paid special attention to the indoor men's volleyball team because 2 players and the head coach came from my alma mater, BYU. I worked for the athletic program when these three won a national championship. I also think that volleyball is really exciting to watch. Almost all of their matches were during the day so I would sneak away from my desk to watch on the big screen HD TV in the conference room. Unfortunately due to timings the matches were always in the daytime.

The team got through pool play undefeated then played Serbia and Russia to get to the Gold Medal match versus Brazil. THEY WON! It was really cool because members on the team are considered old being in the 30s and most are previous Olympians. It was great to see them finally achieve their gold medal aspirations.

It did irritate me that they only got prime time coverage on the last night AND to make matters worse they didn't show the entire match only the final 4th set. Stupid NBC. I was quite annoyed.

They played really well together as a team and overcame some tragic events with the death of head coach Hugh's father-in-law and attack on his mother-in-law while sightseeing in Beijing. Congrats guys!!

Here is the picture slideshow from the Gold Medal winning performance.


No comments: