Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Delta did me proud

flying in first class to utah last week showed me that i really enjoy flying first class. they have decent food, free movies, beverages in glasses (not plastic cups), a pillow and blanket, and most importantly plenty of leg room and arm rest space. i was very grateful that i opted to take my quick florida sojourn in december last year to get my medallion status.

it was with great sorrow that i checked in for my return flight back to NYC and realized i wasn't going to get upgraded. i tried to contain the tears by thinking about all that lovely leg room in my emergency exit row seat. it didn't quite do the trick.

my brother Flex drove Joani and i to the airport because as luck would have it, she was flying to chicago on a business trip on a flight that left 10 minutes before mine. after some issues with joani's luggage we got through security and headed to our gates. we hung at her gate until about 25 minutes before i was scheduled to start boarding. (necessary to board first to get the best overhead carryon space). when i walked over i noticed on the upgrade list that i was #4 and at that moment in time there were exactly 4 seats that were unclaimed in first class. my chances for a return flight upgrade were slim but possible.

joani and i hugged goodbye as she boarded her flight. i grabbed my bag when they called "zone 1" and headed to the lovely bar code scanning lady. when she scanned my pass a little piece of paper printed that said i was UPGRADED! hooray! i enjoyed a lovely roasted chicken dinner with cheesecake and an edited version of Sex and the City the Movie. oh the joys for first class!

i am now pretty much addicted to being upgraded and am willing to go to great lengths to never lose my trusty medallion status again.

1 comment:

Susan said...

That sounds awesome!