Sunday, November 21, 2010

les miserables - special moment in time

my 12th birthday was incredibly special.  got my ears pierced, left the joyful corridors of primary, could wear lip gloss AND saw my first broadway musical EVER!  my parents bought tickets for them, my brother big lug and i to see and experience les miserables at the orpheum theater in san francisco.

on the car ride to dinner before the show my mother kindly explained the plot of the story so that we would have an idea of what was happening.  our seats were excellent and i sat down to enjoy the show.  the first notes of the prologue began and i became completely enraptured.  i couldn't remember feeling such joy in my young life.  my eyes and ears didn't leave the full attention of that stage.  after the show, i told my mom i wanted to start piano lessons again.  i wanted to be able to produce the sounds of the show.  so i started piano lessons again when i had fought so hard to stop them.

since my 12th birthday i've seen les miserables another 5 times.  each time i became more enraptured with the show.  it takes me back to being a child and feeling complete bliss for the very first time.

this past wednesday gooch and i went to a movie theater to witness the 25th anniversary concert held at the O2 arena in london.  it was breathtaking!  just listening to lea salonga sing "i dreamed a dream" brought me to tears.  at the end of the show they brought out the original london cast.  four jean val jeans sang "bring him home" together and then the full cast sang "one day more."  it was incredible!

there are many things that consistently bring me joy - my family, friends, travel, good food and live music.  any and all kinds of live music.  i attribute the moment i became a live music addict to that night in july 1990 when i sat in a san francisco theater and heard "stars", "castle on a cloud" and "on my own."  it truly changed my life.

four val jeans singing at the concert finale:



samantha barks as epinone singing "on my own"



the amazing lea salonga singing "i dreamed a dream"



10th anniversary cast singing "the finale"

2 comments:

Laura said...

This is AMAZING! Thank you for introducing me to it!

Laura said...

This is AMAZING! Thank you for introducing me to it!