Tuesday, November 02, 2010

photography crazed

i realized that i needed a creative outlet in my life.  don't have a piano to play, painting supplies are too difficult to store (not sure how artiste did it whilst living in NYC), and i'm not a writer (other than my witty commentary on this blog).  there were very few creative outlet options open to me until i picked up a digital SLR camera.  i became absolutely hooked on taking pictures of beautiful places, people and moments.

to try to convey how much i needed this outlet i shall share an example of my sacrifice for my art...

last friday night i was at a birthday party for a friend until the wee hours of the night...i'm talking after midnight my friends.  (just because i'm single doesn't mean i party every weekend like there's no tomorrow.  i like my 8 hours of sleep just like everyone else).  i didn't fall asleep until after 2am. 

i had already decided to go to the brooklyn bridge for the sunrise on saturday morning to take some shots of one of my favorite NYC landmarks.  i chose that saturday because it was before daylight savings ended; therefore, sunrise would occur at 7:20am instead of 6:20am.  very important detail.

so i woke up with my alarm at 7:00am.  got dressed, put on my cute and trendy beanie cap and headed for the brooklyn bridge.  spent a windy and cold hour on the bridge taking shot after shot.  quite often i found my self in a kneeling position to get just the right angle or crouched over to position the sun in a specific pattern.  the next morning my quads, gluts and inner thighs were so sore!  apparently i was doing lunges and squats without even knowing it.

generally i'm very cranky when i receive very little shut eye the night before, but this time i was perfectly content to get up, spend $25 on a cab and enter the outside world with dirty/greasy hair.  it was all because i had a camera in my hands and was capturing images that i hope you will enjoy as much as i do.








thank goodness the tools for this creative outlet fit snugly in my bedroom cabinet.

1 comment:

Laura said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! I've got Edward stieglizt's brooklyn bridge on my wall. You can't get a better man-made structure to photograph.