Wednesday, February 23, 2011

hooray for bank mergers

on a recent trip to times square with clare to check out the new and improved disney store i saw to my delight a small alcove on the corner of 45th and 7th avenue with two wells fargo ATMs housed inside.  it made me giddy with excitement.  i even made a point to tell netter all about my discovery the next day.

why would ATMs make me so giddy you ask?  the reason is simple.  all of my primary banking is done via wells fargo bank.  my first checking acocunt at college was through a bank that was bought by wells fargo.  since i wasn't entirely sure of my longevity in NYC, i opted to keep banking with wells fargo.  when it became apparent i wasn't going anywhere i chose to open a bank of america account strictly for withdrawing cash and depositing the random checks i receive.  still did all of my "main" banking with wells fargo.  up until now, there wasn't an ATM in the 1,000s of miles vicinity of my home.

that has all changed!  wells fargo purchased wachovia many moons ago and on my cab ride home from the previously mentioned plain white t's show i saw MULTIPLE wells fargo bank branches lit in their customary red and gold lighting.  there is even one across the street from my office!

this might not seem like an exciting topic for my 450th blog post but to me it means financial abilities that were previously unavailable to me.  i can walk into a branch and get a certified check if i want.  i can pull cash whenever i want without buying a bottle of water and opting for cash back from the local CVS.  the opportunities are endless!

the first $40 removed from Wells Fargo ATM in Manhattan!

today's lesson is don't ever take your local fee-free ATM for granted and welcome westward migration of all that is good.  next order of business - bj's restaurant for an occasional pizookie.

No comments: