Friday, August 19, 2011

happy anniversary to me

this past wednesday was the 10 year anniversary of my graduation with a BA in art history from brigham young university.  i remember the day clearly.  it was gorgeous.  my family and i had to get up at the crack of dawn for my commencement ceremony and diploma distribution held at the de jong concert hall in the HFAC.  i also remember a man approaching me and offering $150 if i would give him my cap and gown so he could be done with his studies.  there was absolutely NO way i was going to make that trade because the cap and gown i wore symbolized lots of hard work, friendships, conversations, education, social interaction, spiritual growth and independence. 

i'll sometimes say that byu for me was the best and worst years of my life.  i think that is the truth about most people and their college experiences.  i definitely gained an education but what i am most grateful for is the people i met and befriended.  those bonds are as strong as ever even though i rarely if ever see my friends anymore.  somehow the things that drove me crazy about my time there have slipped out of my memory.

my choice to apply to only one school after high school paid off and continues to be a blessing as i watch my nephews and nieces develop a love for byu.  still seems kinda crazy that i am the only byu graduate of my siblings after all of the annual summer treks my family took to worship at the cougareat, deseret towers and richards building.


so thank you byu. my time spent in a relationship with you gave me opportunities to know amazing people, study hard or not at all as the case may be, cheer loudly for the byu cougars in the football stadium, marriott center or fieldhouse, live on my own for the first time, develop an everlasting and extremely special relationship with my grandpappy and grandma jewel, learn about financial responsibility and give me experience to lead me on my life's journey which ultimately led me home to new york city.

a very happy 10th anniversary to me and byu.  i think i'll celebrate with a cupcake from magnolia bakery.

No comments: