Thursday, May 03, 2007

Half Court Tennis

Everyone knows I love to play tennis. I already am commandeering my family to play massive amounts with me when I go visit at the end of the month. So it was with excitement and a sense of awe that I read about two fantastic players doing something I had never seen before in the tennis world.

Roger Federer and Raphael Nadal played an exhibition match on a tennis court that had 1/2 grass and 1/2 clay.
The court was made in Palma del Mallorca and cost $1.63 million to produce. Now there are a lot better things I think $1.63 million could be spent on; but, then again I was thrilled about this match between the best grass player in the world versus the best clay player in the world. In the end it was the clay wizard Nadal who beat the grass fiend Federer. I'm sure both of these fantastic players were ecstatic to try their skills on a court that would force them to change their shoes at regular intervals. Congrats to Nadal for beating Federer once again. He needs to teach his tricks to Andy Roddick so a return to American Male dominance can come back into the professional tennis world.

If only I had the cash to fly to the small island off of Spain to witness the "Battle of the Surfaces" in the flesh. Alas, I will just have to wait a few more months before I spend as much time as possible at the US Open 2007 in Flushing, Queens.

No comments: