Thursday, March 05, 2009

a "wicked" lottery

love the musical Wicked. i saw it for the first time with Doc about five years ago just before she moved from the city. we were able to get decent seats and see the original cast including Kristin Chenoweth & Idina Menzel. i cried during the final song "For Good" because i totally connected with the lyrics.

here at the NY broadway production they have a same day lottery for front row tickets at a very discounted rate of $26.25 each. the lottery happens 2 1/2 hours before each performance. people have a 1/2 hour to put their name and a request of up to 2 tickets on a green index card. then a guy puts them in the spinning wheel and pulls out names all while the anxious masses wait outside. he comes out and announces the winners while they gleefully line up next to him.

i have done the lottery countless times - at least 25+ - since the musical opened in 2003. i have NEVER won. once i was the recipient of my friend T being picked. almost everytime i put my name in the lottery it was for the benefit of someone else. i decided that enough is enough.

so now i'm out to beat the lottery - every Wednesday evening i go to the box office which is a short 7 minute walk from my office and attempt to beat the lottery. i don't necessarily have a burning desire to see the show again, but the fire burns to BEAT the lottery. tonight is the next attempt. i promise to blog the moment that my persistence and constancy is rewarded. wish me luck!

4 comments:

Shelly! said...

I LOVE Wicked. My connection song is "Defying Gravity". I cannot make it through that song without crying. I've seen it seven times here in Los Angeles - but would have killed to see it with the original cast! I am so in adoration of Idina Menzel - between RENT and Wicked.

Good luck beating the lotto! I am rooting for you!

Scoresbys said...

Best of luck. I haven't seen a Broadway show since Natalie and I hit New York right after freshman year. Everyone I know loves Wicked. Have you read the book?

Anonymous said...

If anyone can beat a lottery, it's you :) Good luck!!

PinkyMcG said...

totally lost the lottery again this week. maybe need to re-evaluate my strategy.