Sunday, September 25, 2011

ode to HGTV

my friend preppy told me about her recent addiction to watching HGTV.  i thought it was kind of odd but didn't voice that opinion to her directly.  in my mind there were so many other great cable shows to enjoy like AMC, Bravo, ABC Family, Bio, etc.  Who wants to watch shows about how to build a deck?  or what kind of paint and primer combo is best to disguise a red wall?  or heaven forbid, watching men compete in a show about who can make the best bird feeder out of popsicle sticks?  needless to say, it didn't intrigue me but i thought that my friend preppy is a pretty urbane, cultured and sophisticated new yorker/san franciscan so maybe i should see what all of the hoopla was about.  big mistake.  huge.

i have now turned into an HGTV groupie.  it is my go-to surfing channel if i'm waiting for my prime time shows to commence or i need something in the background while i cook or if i'm just lounging on my couch in my 400 something square foot apartment that i pay a rent of 4 digits to call my home.  some of my favorite shows are house hunters international, property virgins, for rent and my first place.  the mistake in converting to the dark side of watching others search for properties is that i have some serious, hard core house envy.  i want to be one of the young whipper snappers that is buying their first home full of three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen with an island and deck in the back yard.  oh and did i mention all of the homes seem to have a dishwasher and laundry facilities?  because they all do.  be still my beating heart.

don't get me wrong...my relationship with new york city seems to be on solid footing.  we still spend lots of wonderful hours together basking in vibrancy, culture, energy and street fairs selling food on a stick.  it's just that HGTV has opened up a new adult world to me full of people concerned about mortgages, location vs. space, and how close is too close to one's parents.  as well as how to compromise on paint colors and how big is too big when buying a new HDTV for the family room.

sometimes i wonder if i could have a long term relationship with a place like los angeles, san diego, phoenix or portland that is just as vibrant, cultured and energetic but with an added bonus of a mortgage full of equity and maybe a yard where my one day dog can romp and play.  i think in many ways it is better to not realize what is out there so you don't know anything but your chosen way of life.  unfortunately HGTV burst that bubble of ignorance. 

1 comment:

Prepster said...

I told you- SO addicting! House Hunters (Regular and International) is a total fave!