Tuesday, September 18, 2012

personal realization #12 - doc's example

like most people i have an end of day routine that includes the customary washing face, applying eye cream, brushing teeth, putting on the comfy pjs, turning off all the lights in my living room/kitchen and then grabbing my "put me to sleep" book of choice and catapulting myself onto my queen size bed.  there is one thing that i have rarely taken advantage of in my nightly routine and that is to write the days events, feelings, observations in a journal.  

my former roomie doc was a shining example of one who wouldn't end her day without taking the time, whether short or long, to document her day.  she filled up journal after journal with details of her life and those moments that were important or mundane.  i was always very impressed by her dedication.  (she also was my roomie who helped me make a habit of making my bed in the morning but that story is for another time.)  i just wish i had doc's journal writing routine as part of my evening activities.

tonight i wrote in my journal.  i do actually own one.  it generally sits on the bottom shelf of my bedroom bookcase collecting dust.  i think tonight's frame of mind spoke to the activity of journal writing.  there are many thoughts going through my mind and many emotions going through my heart.  i wanted to remember and i didn't want to share on this blog so i grabbed that buried journal that i bought in 2008 and wrote some things down.  i don't necessarily know that i feel better or worse after documenting but i do know that i was able to see things just a tad bit clearer.  maybe that is what doc obtains when she writes as well...a bit of clarity and the willingness to listen.  

the journal is now going to be placed in a more prominent spot on my desk/vanity.  visibility of the journal will hopefully remind me of this evening's moment of clarity and emotion purging so when i might be feeling overwhelmed, happy, joyful, sorrowful or anything else, i can document it and obtain the achievement of self reflection.  so i thank you doc and your exemplary ways.  love you.


my friend doc who always makes me smile

1 comment:

Netter said...

how's the journal writing going now?