Wednesday, September 19, 2012

ode to new york city

if i could write poetry this would be the post to bust it out.  but alas, my talents lie elsewhere.  the reason for my wish to write in verse is that today is my 10 year anniversary with new york city.  i can officially call myself a new yorker.  this city is the one place i have lived the longest consecutively in my young life.  here's a brief run down of the biggest highlights of my relationship with new york city in chronological order:
  • moved to new york with two large suitcases and a box of linens
  • my first apartment was on 92nd and 2nd street on the fourth floor of a building with a pizzeria on the ground floor
  • three weeks after moving i got a job with the NBA retired players association as a coordinator - also worked at bath & body works to supplement the income
  • new york fun day was born in december of 2002
  • in spring of 2004 i flew on my first international flight to land in paris - spent 5 glorious days in the city of lights with netter and doc 
  • survived the blackout that turned off the much needed A/C in the heat of august for three days
  • in june of 2005 i left the nba retired players association to take a job with a hedge fund
  • moved into my very own apartment in june of 2007...didn't even care that it was on the 5th floor of a walk up because it was my first home
  • took more trips to the european continent including rome, florence, london (x2), prague (x2), vienna, budapest and again to paris
  • spent 6 weeks caged in my apartment due to a broken ankle sustained at the home of my buddy clare
  • took a helicopter tour over the city with my brother flex (my gift to him for helping me move)
  • moved into my second very own apartment in 2009 and this building had laundry AND an elevator
this city is hard to live and thrive in.  if you don't absolutely love it then it makes absolutely no financial sense or common sense to continue to call it your home.  there have obviously been times that i have thought about leaving to be closer to family but i also have a family here in the city.  i'm grateful for the many wonderful people i have met throughout my 10 years in this amazing city.  that is what has made these 10 years fly by and mostly filled with happiness and joy.  the opportunity to watch amazing broadway productions and museum exhibits not to mention the great food doesn't hurt either.

i love this city.  those cheap touristy shirts that everyone has to take home really mean something to me.  i love new york.

No comments: