Tuesday, September 04, 2012

tennis fun (aka addiction #2)

hi, my name is pinky and i'm a tennis-a-holic.  i can't get enough of tennis.  i constantly want to play tennis.  watch tennis.  read about tennis matches.  follow tennis players on twitter or instagram.  buy tennis skirts.  plan trips to locations with tennis tournaments.  you get my drift.  i even dragged three friends to the tennis hall of fame located in newport, rhode island - in the rain! (photographic evidence below)


so i have done nothing in the evenings but watch U.S. Open matches whether on my lovely 46" HDTV named Matt Bomer, my lovely WiFi iPad 2 named Rory or via the MacBook Pro upon which i am currently typing.  thank goodness for the smart people at IBM and USTA for developing a most awesome app that contains a smorgasbord of information including watching matches in real time.  i love these two weeks of life because it is completely ok to be tennis junkie pinky.  no one can blame me for losing all free time to the masters of the blue courts in queens.

my love of tennis started as a child.  my parentals used to play together while us kidlets enjoyed the jungle gym.  then my brother big lug and i started hitting together which was better than hitting each other.  i played tennis for my junior high team and have a mean serve if i can get it in the court.  but last summer my brother flex destroyed me 6-0.  

my favorite players growing up were gabriella sabatini and jennifer capriati.  but my heart, tennis soul and devotion belonged to pete sampras.  loved watching that man play especially if he played my tennis homie numerous dos andre agassi.  do you remember this totally epic and awesome nike tennis commercial?



i didn't realize when i moved to new york how much i would look forward to us open time at the end of each summer.  i have shelled out hundreds of dollars to attend matches over the last ten years.  there was only one year that i didn't go because my session was rained out.  that was the year i pledged to always buy tickets to two sessions so that i would never put all of my us open time in one basket.  

my favorite us open moments were when my joani came two years ago.  we spent two straight days at the open where we watched all sorts of matches including doubles.  we had such an amazing time together watching the world's greatest.  i told joani that she has to choose between a trip to hawaii or a trip to wimbledon for her birthday next year.  tough choices my joani.

so that is the story of my pinky tennis junkie addiction.  just for those playing along, this year, i went to the first night session on monday august 27th, the day session on monday, september 3rd and will be enjoying the men's super saturday action on saturday, september 8th.  crossing fingers that my american tennis crush andy roddick can blast past del potro to make a run to the semis before he retires.

for any within the reading of this blog post, i implore you to learn about the game of tennis.  as i mentioned in a comment on my buddy lind-z's blog - it's a game where handsome men routinely lift their shirts to wipe the sweat from their brow allowing a lovely glimpse of chiseled abs.  apparently that's all i need to become addicted to the game.

pictures from us opens past:

joani's first trek to arthur ashe stadium

my buddy steph and i after watching an andy roddick match

roger federer wins the 2009 trophy versus andy murray


watching a match on the grandstand


can you spot joani?
 

No comments: