Monday, June 09, 2008

Subway Avoidance

This morning I had another example of why I will try everything in my power to avoid the subway morning commute.

Let me set the stage...it is hot in NYC; very, very, very hot and humid. The subway platform is one of the worst places to be during a 3 H day (hot, humid & hazy). This type of weather generally puts people in a bad mood. So here goes my morning story...

Unfortunately I was running late so opted to take the subway instead of the trusty bus. The first train was absolutely packed so waited for the next train. I was able to get on the next train and position myself in the "alleyway" in front of a nice older lady. My car location was at the front of the train and I was at the mid-north part of the car.

Things were going standard for a packed subway commute. We pulled out of 59th street and were on our way to my getting off point of 51st street when all of the sudden we hear this woman squeal (not quite a scream) "stop" and jump on the seat down towards the south end of my car. I exited the train from the middle and suddenly these two middle aged men were moving towards the exit just pummeling each other. I've seen fights before but nothing so close to me and none where I could hear the cracking of knuckles on someone else's face. It took everything I could do to get away as quickly as possible but the stupid fighter in the green polo shirt kept getting closer and closer to me. Finally I did some pushing of my own and got out of the station as quickly as my stiff little ankle climbing multiple stairs could get me.

My best guess is that the fight stemmed from the fact that there was no room on the subway car and it was so blasted hot, humid and hazy. These factors should not have led to grown men hitting each other and endangering those around them.

Another adventure on the subway.

No comments: