Thursday, July 24, 2008

Debt Free

I really have one main goal in my life right now...to live debt free (in my mind student loans don't count). I think some would be surprised that my main goal isn't to get married, birth babies, own a home, travel around the world in 30 days, cure cancer, or run a marathon. Instead it really is to get out of debt. I pull myself out of bed every morning and go to a job that I enjoy to work hard and earn money to pay for things that I already bought and have now cost me probably double their value. thanks interest.

While in college I got into some bad habits and have spent literally the last 8 years paying for those mistakes at very high interest. My brother Big Lug uses me as the example of what "not" to do when addressing his incoming freshman class. Stupid Citibank and Discover snared me when I had the most time to travel and could use the excuse for not working as "i'm a student".

Now about 7 years after my college graduation I am still wrestling with the boulder sized pressure of being in debt. I want so desperately to get out of debt and begin some kind of long term saving project...maybe for an apartment, a car, grand safari in Africa, diamonds, etc.

It is amazing to me how much more you value money when it is entirely up to you how you use it. Don't get me wrong I still travel (i.e. Hawaii & London this year) but I save to be able to afford to travel. Hopefully I will be able to continue on the right path and stop paying interest on that skirt I bought from Banana Republic like 3 years ago. I don't even think that skirt is still hanging in my closet. Oh the travesty.

No comments: