Monday, September 15, 2008

Carnival of Tennis Joy & Gladness

The 2008 US Open is over with Roger Federer once again claiming the title and Serena Williams returning to her 2002 championship form. I think the US Open is one of my favorite live sporting events ever! Joani you're coming next year!

I went three times this year which honestly just isn't enough. I was accompanied by CA Lady on Saturday August 30th to see the Williams sister dispose of their opponents as well as butt picking tennis genius Rafael Nadal and the Bryan Brothers destroy their foes on the other side of the net. It was so great to sit in the hot sun and cheer for some excellent tennis.

Thursday night I headed back to Flushing with Dancing Queen and Jill. We saw the Andy Roddick v. Novak Djokavic match under the lights. I couldn't believe how rude the New York fans were that night. It was constant yelling and shouting during Novak's serve and even during points. Djokavic beat Andy and made the mistake of saying some disparaging things about Andy. The crowd quickly turned on him and boo'd as loudly as I had ever heard. One thing to remember is not to piss off New York fans because they can be brutal. But I do think that the fans showed serious unsportsmanship during the match.


This year I bought tickets for the Men's Final which takes place on a Sunday morning. The weather even cooperated for my benefit by raining out the Men's semi-final to force the Men's Final to be played late on Monday afternoon. Jill, Em and I climbed the 100 steps to the top of the stadium to watch Federer beat Andy Murray for the title. It was a gorgeous day and a great way to end the 2008 US Open. If only I had been able to buy that key chain I wanted. Oh well, there's always next year.




No comments: