Saturday, October 07, 2006

The NYC Irritation

I absolutley adore New York City and this past week has reinforced that feeling because of my time with Donny as Gaston in Beauty & the Beast, watching the Top Ten from So You Think You Can Dance? throw down serious dance moves, and enjoying the gorgeous Fall weather. Generally I have nothing but good things to say about this city that never sleeps. Today was not one of those days.

It gets somewhat annoying to have to carry everything you buy around this city. The good old days of stuffing purchases in your car are long gone. Today I really missed those days. I bought screens for my apartment windows to enable my windows to be open to diffuse the heat pouring out of my radiator. Screens are bulky and heavy. Of course, I also felt the need to purchase a hand mixer and cleaning supplies. This only caused the bulkiness to increase and for my fingers to start to lose circulation as I walked the 6 blocks and two Avenues to my apartment. Then it was up the four flights of stairs to my apartment. Needless to say, I was a tired, annoyed, and somewhat sweaty person when I got home.

Luckily two things saved me from keeping the annoyance around. The first happened when I got home with my massive amount of bags. I put the screens in the windows, rehung some curtains, then cleaned the bathroom and set-up my new DVD Recorder/VCR combo. Some of these activities would be drudgery, but for some reason they just reinforced my happiness that I have my own apartment. I enjoy everything about living on my own except for chatting with my former NYC roomies Doc, Choreographer and Yoga Master. Luckily, I can still keep the connection of good friends while enjoying a one bedroom apartment all to myself.

The second thing happened when I took a walk to pick up some DVDs for Big Lug's birthday project. On my way down the four flights of stairs, my good friend SueBelle called me to chat. She "walked" me all the way to Best Buy and back; which is a round trip of 22 blocks. It is so great to hear from friends that you haven't talked to in awhile. It made me feel connected in this vast world and often crazy city. Even though SueBelle doesn't live in NYC, she is still close to me through the joys of cell phones.

New York City can be hard to deal with sometimes. Thankfully, those times are few and far between. I know that my family, friends and independence make up for lack of a car to stuff groceries, window screens or new shoes into. Although, having a dog to come home to would make everything a little brighter here in this city that never sleeps...but I promised Joani to wait until I can offer a doggie room to roam. So until I can get a sheltie of my own, I will just have to look at pictures of my Macy.



Isn't my Macers pretty?

No comments: