Thursday, October 19, 2006

Was I Rude?

I bought lunch at the lovely deli down the street. I got the grilled chicken sandwich special which includes a soda. I also bought a 1/2 lb of potatoe salad. I didn't want the soda so when I got to the checkout I tried to negotiate a lower price on the salad if I forfeited my soda. The nice lady behind the register said, "No, baby." Then she told me, "You can choose any soda in the case, baby." My negotiations tactic didn't work, but I suddenly got really annoyed that she called me "baby" not once, but twice. I told her in a pleasant voice to please not call me "baby." She gave me a snotty look and said, "so sorry MISS."

My question is...is it rude to ask people to refrain from calling me by an endearment? I know I look young and have a youngish voice; hence, most of my adult life has included strangers calling me either cookie, sweetie, hon, cutie, etc. I've learned to take this as complimentary. Today I snapped and couldn't handle being called "baby." The snapping could also stem from the fact that she didn't give me the discount on my potatoe salad.

No comments: