Monday, October 09, 2006

Why is it such a shock...

It never ceases to amaze me that most men display shock when I join into a conversation about sports and actually have something to contribute. Why is it so rare for a woman to have intelligence about the sports world?

To be fair, I did work with retired NBA players for about 3 years. So for those years, I ate, drank and breathed basketball; especially "classic" basketball. Also, my childhood was full of watching games with my brothers and father on the family room couch. In order to be a part of the family sports enthusiast "team", I had to know the ins and outs of sports - lots and lots of sports. This training as well as attendance at professional games and actually playing the sports have developed my knowledge. I am not shy about sharing this knowledge even if it might emasculate the males around me.

I guess I will continue to read shock on the faces of men when I give a statistic or insight about sports. Luckily, most of the time that shock often transitions to admiration.

I must acknowledge and give gratitude to my family for helping increase my coolness level with men because they forced me to watch ESPN's SportsCenter over and over again just in case we missed something in the first viewing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, it's because of people like me. At least I know now that the Jazz is a pro team and not the University of Utah's team. I'm jealous of your brain!! Of course that's part of what makes you so charming.