Friday, April 15, 2011

part of the club

my good friend and neighbor jewel and i chatted a couple of months ago.  during the course of our litte convo we decided it would be fantastic to start a book club with friends from the neighborhood.  have always kept my reading choices to the same genre so was eager to branch out. 

had our first meeting where everyone brought ideas of what books to read throughout the time.  elected to read paul harding's tinkers as our inaugural book. 

last night was the club meeting to discuss what we thought of mr. harding's tinkers.  i'll admit it was a hard book to read.  the language was gorgeous but for one used to dialogue it was hard to get through.  while discussing it so many others parts were opened up to me in a new way.  i basked in the glow of great friends talking about their impressions and relating personal anecdotes.  it was a great night.

next month's book is suzanne collins' the hunger games.  i've already read the book and would highly recommend it to everyone.  don't be put off by the themes and content.  it is a FANTASTIC book!

1 comment:

Connie said...

I loved the Hunger Games. They were great books. I hope that your book group next month likes it too. I love having a book group. I tofrces me to read things that I wouldn't always read. I would love to hear what you read every month and read along with you. Have fun!