Thursday, February 23, 2012

british ancestry = i'm british

most of my adult life i have wanted to be british.  i love almost everything about britain; only things on the not keen on list is their food, bad teeth and conversion rate of pound sterling to US dollar.  other than that, i'm in rapture with all things british.  

based on the above information it should make absolute sense that i soaked up all the british goodness of downton abbey on masterpiece classic.  it was doc who first implored me to watch the series that had been stuck on my DVR for a couple of weeks.  once i hit that first "play" i was on the downton abbey express train.  the acting is fantastic, the history is enlightening, the romance is sweet and the clothes and jewelry are too die for!  

i thought having high tea at the kensington palace orangery solidified my desire to claim britain as my own.  i didn't realize as i was drinking my ginger lemon tea that another british export would steal the love thunder from the orangery in such a short amount of time.  downton abbey gave me a home to rest my weary head and forget the cares of the world as i dived into the lives, trials and triumphants of the crawley family and their faithful friends belowstairs.  i implore you to watch downton abbey and realize your own strong desire to be british if even for a moment.

highclere castle was just added to list of places to see on my next british isles vacation...it's right up there with chatsworth house and the lake district.

a small snippet of scenes from my fave couples - mary & matthew and sybil & branson (plus it's made with a snow patrol song...bonus!)




1 comment:

Kelly said...

I too have longed to be British (although my Scottish ancestors may not look on that too favorably). I even love the food and don’t mind the teeth (they’re perfectly healthy teeth, they just don’t go in for cosmetic dentistry).

One of my dearest friends lives in Yorkshire and is committed to fully indoctrinating me with Downton Abbey (she owns seasons 1 and 2) during my next visit. I can't wait.