Thursday, November 09, 2006

Weather Appropriate Coats

I love coats. I was recently mocked by Netter and Doc for the sheer number of coats I own. I am proud to say that I have a total of 8 different coats in my closet. Each of these coats has a specific function in the goal of staying warm and dry. Some are for temperatures in the 50s, others the 40s or 30s, and then two special ones keep my blood warm when it hits the 20s or below.

Each year around the end of October a cold spell hits this great city that forces the masses to pull out their wool, shearling, leather, etc. coat out of mothballs as well as a scarf, hat and gloves. The funny thing about this moment in time is that it virutally puts the kabosh on going back to wearing a light jacket. Once that warmer coat goes on, it doesn't go away until mid-April regardless of the current temperature.

Case in point...yesterday it poured over 3" of rain in Central Park. A warmer coat that would also keep you dry was weather appropriate. Today, however, is sunny and going to climb to close to 70 degrees. Do you think the people of New York kept their warm coats on the hanger and elected to wear a light jacket? Of course not. On my 3 block walk from the subway this morning I saw many, many people sweating while wearing their wool coats and scarfs. I am a cruel, cruel person because I laughed in the face of their folly. Hee hee.

My words of wisdom for the day - decide your attire after watching the morning weather report. It can save a whole lot of unnecessary sweat from dripping off your forehead.

No comments: